viernes, 15 de abril de 2011

Because It Can #1 - Phrasal Verb Word Order

by Liam Bourret-Nyffeler


A friend came round to my house last night. Evening would be more accurate. And as the night settled in the need was felt to turn the light on... or turn on the light. Pff yeah sure whatever don’t go splitting hairs Liam. It’s the same thing. And to be honest, there and then, in that context... it was.  Yet context is everything.
If I had told a story of a friend who had come to my house to see me but I refused because, at one point they had tried to turn on me... the betrayal I express is something I’m sure most are familiar with.
But, just to split hairs, I would have to say to my Mexican friend that word order can’t always be about splitting hairs.
If I had told a story of a friend who had come to my house to see me but I refused because, at one point they had tried to turn me on... .... yeahhhhhh mmmm the thing is... I’m not really into you in that way my friend.
I can’t help but think back to a class at one point where such phrasal verbs were being used. And a student asked if there is no light due to a power shortage ... what is the expression
The lights went off.
..Teacher.. Yes, Student,...
My name is not Student...
And mine is not Teacher (just for the record, I have a name, I didn’t chose it, the world decided I should have one so the least it can do is use it)
If electricity returns... do you come on the lights........
No I don’t come on the lights, the lights come on.(To my credit I didn't even smirk. This isn't even double entendre, it's just sexual in meaning and I certainly wasn't expecting that kind of language in the class but what's to be done?)

Why does English feel the need to do this? I can find no real answer and I’m left with .... “Because it can”

Happy Easter
  

1 comentario:

  1. I guess your post questions and answers at both the same time.

    I guess with English teaching and English language the response "because it is" is enough for the reason.

    To our ears and mind the word order is very important. Hence why it has to be said that way, it's that way after the evolution of the language and it's that way because it is.

    ResponderEliminar